Photographs and Paintings

Iain Rutherford

Welcome to the gallery...
...please look through...
...please click on a picture to see a larger image
...please let me know what you think.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Two More Archived Paintings

The upper painting is a view in North Berwick, a popular seaside location in Scotland. This was painted in August of 1988. I quite like it, especially the dark wooden outcrops from a pier that is submerged when the tide is in. Which surprised me at the time when in the middle of the painting a rather large pier emerged from the water and I had to consider whether it should become part of the picture. This was in my "Literal" period. Fortunately, sense prevailed.

The lower painting is a companion piece to the painting of the Lille Opera House in the previous post. This time the picture is of the Lille war memorial. The writing on the monument can be read, if you can read French. I found this memorial fascinating, as it was built into the fabric of an old church and I felt it had a commanding presence. But as I painted this, I was asked by a watching local why I was painting the ugliest thing in Lille. C'est la vie!






No comments: